This is Spyro, Trevor's new pet lizard. He is a 6 week old bearded dragon. He likes to bask in the sun lamp and eat crickets. Tyson loves to hold him and have him climb up his shirt. I honestly cannot even begin to tell you how much we love this little guy and how much we worry about him! It really is like having a baby in our house. "Is he eating? Has he pooped? Is he warm enough? Why is he sleeping so much? Is his skin too dry? Is he getting enough liquids?" I even found myself praying for this lizard!!!!!!! Adam and I thought he was sick or dying because he wasn't eating or drinking much on the 2nd and 3rd day...but then he shed some skin and after hours of research on line we read that it is normal... He seems fine now and much more alert. He eats about 8 crickets a day!
We spend a lot of time just watching him...and the crickets. This is his little home. The first lamp is a UV light to help him absorb vitamins or something. The second lamp is his night light. The third lamp is the heat lamp. He has a hammock, a log, a water bowl, and a climbing branch. We all chip in to help take care of him. Adam helps Trevor clean the cage, although mom has cleaned out her fair share of lizard poop, too! I even found myself shopping at Lowes with a bag full of 6 dozen baby crickets in my purse!!! I was afraid they would freeze in the van! Oh, the things we do for love! Here's a shout out to all of the other moms of boys!
Here is Adam getting the crickets ready! They climb up this tube that he shakes into a baggie filled with vitamin powder. We then feed Spyro the powdered crickets for dinner! My sweet niece, Caroline, loved helping Uncle Adam each night with the crickets! He would walk in the door from work and she would gab his hand and say, "crickets!"
Sometimes you feel like a cricket and sometimes you don't!


2 comments:
I hate to even admit it, but I kinda miss that thing.
Very interesting. Hopefully the boys will stay interested and not abandon care of the pet to the parents. Unlike fish you can't flush a lizard.
Post a Comment